Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

American Idol 2012 Top 3 Performance Night Review

Such a challenge for the top 3 this week since they have to master and perform 3 songs. In the first round, the judges get to pick a song for them, second round is the contestant's choice and for the third round, their mentor, Jimmy Iovine chooses for them.


The judges chose "I'd Rather Be Blind" by Etta James for Joshua Ledet. For me, it was a noisy, "too much screaming" performance. Though the judges loved it by giving him the nth standing ovation. I dunno, I felt he didn't deserve that standing O.


For Jessica Sanchez, the judges picked "My All" by Mariah Carey. Wow! It was such a challenging song to sing and yet the 16-year-old slayed it! Like Steven Tyler, I was hanging to her every note =)




Phillip Phillips came next and the judges chose "Beggin'" by Madcon. As usual, Phillip made the song into his own and had a good time on stage. However, I felt it wasn't at par with the performances of Joshua and Jessica in the first round.


For the next round, the contestants get to choose the song...


Joshua picked "Imagine" and to me it was a lazy, laid back rendition. Jessica did Aerosmith's "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing," wherein Steven Tyler was the lone judge who gave her a standing O. This is the first time I ever saw only one judge giving a standing ovation. Hmmm, seems like Jessica is trying to get Steven's approval and Aerosmith fans' votes as well. Phillip sang "Disease" by Matchbox 20. I didn't like any performance on this round, thus no video post.


For the final round, wherein their mentor, Jimmy Iovine gets to choose what song to sing, Josh did a superb job in Mary J. Blige's "No More Drama"... though there was a lot of drama in his performance... removing his jacket for one ;)




Jimmy wanted Jessica to sing a popular song right for her age so thus chose "I'll Be There" by the Jackson 5. Though Randy didn't like it, I liked it. Indeed, Jessica has a voice of an angel.




Phillip ended the show with "We've Got Tonight" by Bob Seger and for me this was his best performance among all his three songs of the night... I'm sure a lot of girls are wishing and hoping and praying Phillip is singing this song to them. Bravo Jimmy for choosing this song and for further paving the road for Phillip to the finals.




In my opinion, if this was a real singing contest, I think it should be a Joshua Ledet and Jessica Sanchez finale. However, AI is a popularity contest and Phillip Phillips has the vote of majority of the girls. Since that's the case, I would like a Phillip and Jessica final. If Jessica makes it, this would be the highest spot any Fil-American has ever reached. Jasmine Trias holds the record so far by making it to Top 3 during Season 3. Keeping my fingers crossed... go Jessica!


I enjoyed watching the videos when the contestants made their homecoming visits. Phillip's dad was happy to see his son pursuing his dream and doing something with passion and integrity. It was touching that Chula Vista mayor, Cheryl Cox, even declared May 12 as "Jessica Sanchez" day. Wow! What support! Funny that Joshua even commented that he noticed that people in Louisiana were acting as if he was Barrack Obama =)


What I like best about this episode is seeing whites supporting colored people like black singer Joshua and brown-skinned Jessica. Shows like American Idol help diminish prejudice in America and unite the world through music =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Infolinks In Text Ads