Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

American Idol 2012 Top 4 Performance Night Review

The contestants get to sing two songs, the theme for the first round is California Dreamin' (songs about California or from artists who hail from there). For round two, they can choose a personal fave or song they wish they wrote.


Phillip Phillips started the night with "Have You Ever Seen the Rain." It was a pathetic opening! Judge Steven Tyler agrees with me by commenting... "you are the living proof that the road to success is always under construction." Indeed, it's a "subtle yet brutal" comment from "pareng Steven," dear Grace Caras ;)


Hollie Cavanagh came next with a beautiful and heartfelt rendition of "Faithfully" by Journey. She has improved so much from the tearful girl in Texas auditioning last season 10. Way to go girl! Bravo!




Joshua Ledet performed Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up." Funny, he was even raised up on stage. What I like about Joshua is that he dedicated this song to his dad (who raises him up) and his next song "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" to his mom (for Mother's Day). So sweet! Typical bunso (youngest child =)


Jessica Sanchez did Etta James' "Steal Away." This 16-year-old stole my heart again on this one... just totally awesome!




The first duet of the night came from the boys wherein they sang "This Love" by California homegrown Maroon 5. For me, the girls did a better job than them (though the judges think otherwise). I love their "Eternal Flame" blending and swinging hehe =)




Though the group performance "Waiting for a Girl" ain't that good enough for me to post it here. And now for round two...


Phillip did "Volcano" by Damien Rice and boy he wowed me on this one. I felt here that once Phillip gets on that stage, he tunes out the audience and everything else, the only stuff existing is him and the music. I'm not a Phillip Phillips fan but after this performance, I'm starting to change my mind =)




Hollie performed "I Can't Make You Love Me" and it was just... off. I don't love you on this one, Hollie. It was the wrong song choice since it didn't showcase her powerful voice at all and it totally lacked feeling. Will she be finally booted out this time?


Joshua sang "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" by James Brown. This is the best performance I have seen in American Idol... ever! It's crazy when Joshua holds back, I want more, more, more. Let's go home now, Mr Steven Tyler...




After watching that phenomenal performance of Joshua, I felt this will definitely be a challenge and super pressure for Jessica to outshine or even be at par with him. But the young and talented Filipina-Mexican-American didn't disappoint. Her rendition of "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" by Jennifer Holliday was just spectacular. My mom beside me, watching the show, kept on commenting "hindi na siya huminga" (she didn't breathe anymore).




What a big night on American Idol! The last two songs by Jessica and Joshua were totally out of this world. This is what makes American Idol so worthwhile watching. They are my Top 2. Bottom 2: Hollie and Phillip. Hope it will be Hollie going home now, for good.


I want to end this post by a quote from Hollie, "If you have something you really want, you go for it." For her, she realized singing was what she wanted to do for the rest of her life. Whatever the cost, whatever the obstacles, she went for her dream, in spite of it all... and look how far she has reached. How about you? You have something you really, really want? What are you waiting for? Go for it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Infolinks In Text Ads