Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

American Idol 2012 Top 7 Performance Night Review

American Idol Top 7 Performance Night Review (Theme: Current songs from 2010 onwards)


Skylar Laine opened the night with "Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You." The judges were so raving about it but for me it was just good. I can't help but remember her heartfelt rendition of "Wind Beneath My Wings" last week and that was better.




Colton Dixon came next with "Love the Way You Lie." I actually love the way he sang it and can't help but admire how he "Coltonizes" the songs he performs week after week. He even plays the piano and memorizes the piece. That's a plus for me since I play the piano too and I know how hard it is to both sing and at the same time hit the keys. Hats off to you Colton =)




I think many liked the Elise and Phillip tandem that they partnered them again for another duet. They performed "Someone That I Used to Know" (chosen by Elise)... cute but it was just okay for me. I liked their last week's "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" way much better.


For me, this was the best performance of the night... Jessica Sanchez's "Stuttering." I don't care what JLo says, comparing Jessica to Joshua and even mentioning that the latter is much better than her. What's with American Idol tonight that they keep on comparing the contestants to their fellow competitors (Jessica to Joshua, Colton to Phillip, even Phillip said Elise is a better singer than he is)? It's just so sick! Each is unique you know. Better to compare them to their previous performances, not to another person.




Joshua Ledet was given the lone standing ovation tonight by the judges. Was it because he turned 20 that night? "Happy Birthday Joshua! This standing ovation is our gift to you." I dunno but I didn't like his Bruno Mars performance at all. For me, stick to ballads Josh.


Hmmm, another Colton Dixon and Skylar Laine duet again. Looks like people digged their tandem last week too. There was more chemistry between them now but for me, their "Don't You Wanna Stay" was just an okay performance.


Hollie Cavanagh did "Perfect" by Pink. It was way much better than her "What A Feeling" performance last week. Yes the song showcased her great vocals but I don't think it will be enough to save her from being the next to be booted out. While watching her, I felt there was something missing in her performance though I couldn't quite pinpoint what that is... maybe just the fact that she hasn't crossed the line from being amateur to pro.


Finally, I liked a Phillip Phillips performance when he did Maroon 5's "Give A Little More" tonight. Though it was still same old, same old. C'mon Phillip, you've gotta give a little more and break out from your usual routine if you want to win this. The tweeners are on your side and out to help you =)


The best duet or trio for me tonight is the rendition of Kelly Clarkson's "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)" by Joshua, Hollie and Jessica. It showcased each of their powerful voices. Still, the judges compared each one and I hate it. Why do they like Joshua so much???!!!




Elise Testone did a Lady Gaga song (actually her face reminds me of Lady Gaga as well =) and I'm glad that she's back and this time with a great song choice. However, her performance didn't make it to my top 3 for tonight.


My Top 3 are: Jessica, Colton and Skylar

Bottom 3: Hollie, Phillip, and Joshua (probably many don't agree with me since the judges even gave him a standing O)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Infolinks In Text Ads